Pages

Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Brief History

Hello and welcome to Gracie K. Events!  Before I start filing your screens with pretty photos and small business blurbs, I think a short history of why I'm qualified to do so is in order!

I started my floral design journey at the tender age of seventeen, when I picked up a part-time summer job at the now-defunct Blooming Creations by SAKS & Reed in Urbandale, IA.  There's a long, sad story about why the business no longer exists, but instead, we're going to focus on the positive. I discovered my passion and my purpose that summer: serving people through creative designs and meaningful personal interactions.

After SAKS closed, I was in school at Des Moines Area Community College, and picked up a job in the floral department at Dahl's Foods, a local grocery chain in the Des Moines area.  Through this position, I was able to gain some leadership skills, as I was put in charge of ordering and processing much of the live floral products we received.  I also got to design my first wedding, a pretty blue/green fall wedding of some long-time friends.

We'll touch on that more later.  

After Dahl's came a school transfer to the University of Northern Iowa for a Marketing degree, and a new job in the floral department at HyVee, doing similar work with a much more experienced staff; my learning continues each day.

However, the highlight of my young career happened this past summer: I got the chance to intern for Merry Me! Events, an event planning powerhouse in northern Indiana.  Details will follow in a post (or ten) down the road.  This internship was a dream come true, and I left inspired and even more passionate (I didn't think it was possible!) about my career path.

For now, I'll leave you with some photos of my work.  Maybe they'll inspire you, maybe they'll prompt a question about what I do, or what I can do for you!  Hopefully they brighten your Sunday.  Please feel free to leave comments or questions!

Til next time,
Gracie K.





No comments:

Post a Comment